| BIRDS IN LEGENDS, MYTHOLOGY, AND RELIGION
- BIRDS IN LEGENDS, MYTHOLOGY, AND RELIGION
Swan Maiden - a mythical creature who shapeshifts from human form to swan form.
Ziz - a giant bird said to be large enough to be able to block out the sun with its wingspan.
- AFRICAN MYTHOLOGY
Lightning Bird - a real or imaginary bird superstitiously associated with special powers, generally lightning.
- AZTEC MYTHOLOGY
Quetzalcoatl - a god of wind, creativity, and fertility, frequently depicted as a Feathered Serpent.
- BUDDHIST MYTHOLOGY
Garuda - enormous predatory birds with intelligence and social organization.
- CHINESE MYTHOLOGY
Fenghuang - mythological birds that reign over all other birds.
Zhu Què (Vermilion Bird) - a mythological spirit creature of the Chinese
- EGYPTIAN MYTHOLOGY
Bennu - the Egyptian correspondence to the phoenix, and is said to be the soul of the Sun-God Ra.
- GREEK MYTHOLOGY
Griffin - a legendary creature with the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle.
Harpies - winged death-spirits.
Phoenix - a mythical sacred firebird.
Sirens - female figures that lured sailors to their death with their music.
Sphinx - a unique demon of destruction and bad luck represented as a winged lion with a woman's head.
- HINDU MYTHOLOGY
Garuda - a lesser Hindu divinity, usually the mount (vahanam) of Vishnu.
Jatayu - a demi-god who has the form of a vulture.
Sampaati - brother to Jatayu.
- JAPANESE MYTHOLOGY
Ho-o - Japanese version of the Chinese Fenghuang.
Suzaku - Japanese version of the Chinese Vermillion Bird.
Yatagarasu - a 3-legged raven who belongs to the sun goddess Amaterasu.
- KOREAN MYTHOLOGY
Samjoko - A 3-legged bird associated with the sun.
- KWAKIUTL MYTHOLOGY
- MAGYAR MYTHOLOGY
Turul - a large falcon that helped shape the origins of the Magyars.
- MAYAN MYTHOLOGY
Camulatz - A bird that ate the heads of the first men.
The Cu Bird (el Pájaro Cu)
- NATIVE AMERICAN MYTHOLOGY
Raven - representative spirit of actual ravens, and often depicted as a trickster or culture hero
Thunderbird - an enormous bird that causes thunder and stirs the wind from the beating of its wings.
- NORSE MYTHOLOGY
Habrok - the "best" hawk.
Hraesvelg - a giant, who in eagle from, creates the wind by beating his wings.
Hugin and Munin (Thought and Memory) - a pair of ravens associated with the Norse god Odin.
Vedrfolnir - a hawk sitting between the eyes of an eagle in the crown of Yggdrasill, the World Tree.
- PERSIAN MYTHOLOGY
Chamrosh - a bird said to live on the summit of Mount Alborz and is the archetype of all
Roc - an enormous mythical bird of prey, often white, reputed to have been able to carry off and eat elephants.
Simurgh - a gigantic, benevolent, mythical flying creature, often part dog or human.
- RUSSIAN MYTHOLOGY
Alkonost - a bird of paradise with the body of a bird and the face of a woman, a derivative of Alcyone.
Gamayun - a prophetic bird that lives on an island in the east, close to
Sirin - a mythological creature with the head and chest of a beautiful woman and the body of a bird (usually an owl).
Zhar-Ptitsa - a magical glowing firebird from a faraway
BIRDS IN TELEVISION
- Canary M. Burns, the Canary. On The
- Carly, the Cardinal spokes/songbird for National Arbor Day in the U.S.
- Dahl (parrot), household pet of the Kennedy family in the Australian soap-opera Neighbours
- Fred the cockatoo in Baretta
- Owl, from Winnie the Pooh
- Rosita, Dolores and
Marguerita, parrots who advertise Tropicana brand orange juice on UK
BIRDS ON THE RADIO
- The Wise Old Bird on the planet Brontitall in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
BIRDS IN FILM
- Babs and Ginger (hens) and Fowler and Rocky (roosters) in Chicken Run
- The Crow (based on the comic of the same name) is about a superhero associated with a crow
- Falcon (a falcon) and Margalo
(a canary) in Stuart Little 2
- Paulie (a parrot) in the film of the same name
- Mordechai: Pet falcon of Richie Tenenbaum in The Royal Tenenbaums
- Waddlesworth (a parrot) in 102 Dalmatians
- Howard - "Howard The Duck" aka "Howard: A New Breed of Hero" (1986)
- Zazu, from The Lion King
- Gill a (Brown Pelican) (Herring Gull), in Finding Nemo
- The Vultures (a gastornis) (phorushrhacos) Ice Age 2: Meltdown
- Lt. Puffin (a puffin) The Princess Swan
- Louie, the main character of EB White's The Trumpet of the Swan
- Iago (a parrot) from Aladdin
- Hedwig, Pigwidgeon ( owls ) from Harry Potter
BIRDS IN MUSIC
- Blackbird in the Beatles' Blackbird
- The Birds – British band
- The Black Crowes – American band
- The Byrds – American band
- The doves in Prince's When Doves Cry
- Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd
- The old grey goose who drowned in the millpond in Go Tell Aunt Rhody
- The Kookaburra of the Australian song of the same name
- The Lark Ascending; composition by Vaughan Williams
- Mockingbird by Carly Simon and James Taylor
- The Mutton Birds – band
- The Mynah Birds – band
- The Nightingale; composition by Igor Stravinsky
- Oiseax exotiques and Catalogue d'oiseaux; organ compositions by Olivier Messiaen.
- The turkey in Turkey in the Straw
- And Your Bird Can Sing by The Beatles
- "City Bird" from the album Satanic Panic in the Attic by Of Montreal.
- Bird song in transcribed form is found in Antonio Vivaldi's The Four
- "Bird of Paradise" by Snowy White
- "Bird on a Wire" by Leonard Cohen
- "Cry of the Blackbirds" by Amon Amarth
BIRDS IN SPORTS
- The Anaheim Ducks
- The Arizona Cardinals
- The Atlanta Hawks
- The Atlanta Thrashers
- The Baltimore Orioles
- The Baltimore Ravens
- The Bellevue Blackhawks
- The Boston Doves (now Atlanta Braves)
- The Chicago Owls (defunct)
- The Kansas Jayhawks
- The Oklahoma Thunderbirds (defunct)
- The Pittsburgh Condors (defunct)
- The Pittsburgh Penguins
- The St Louis Cardinals
- The St Louis Eagles (defunct)
- The Seattle Seahawks
- The Toronto Blue Jays
BIRDS IN ANIMATION, COMICS, PUPPETRY, AND THEME PARKS
- Abalardo, a very big parrot, Big Bird's Mexican counterpart on Plaza Sesamo
- The Aracuan Bird, in various Walt Disney cartoons
- Archimedes, an owl in Disney's The Sword in the Stone
- Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Lugia and Ho-Oh
- Beaky Buzzard, a buzzard in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons
- Big Bird, a very big canary, and Little Bird on Sesame Street
- Big Mama, an owl in the Disney film The Fox and the Hound
- Birdee, Kira Yamato's robotic pet created by Athrun Zala as a parting gift; Gundam Seed
- Birdie the Early Bird from Mc Donald's
- Blackbird, a pirate (based on Blackbeard) in The Legend Of Anne Bunny
- Booker, a baby chick in Garfield and Friends
- Buzz Buzzard in Woody Woodpecker
- Buzby, yellow bird of unspecified species in advertisements for British Telecom in the late
- Gallina Caponata, a big (theoretical) chicken in Spanish version of Sesame Street
- Camilla, a chicken and Gonzo's romantic interest on The Muppet Show
- Cathryn Aura and her son Nigel, vultures in Kevin and Kell
- Charlie the Owl in the New Zoo Revue
- Chicken Pig of Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Chilly Willy, a penguin in the Walter Lantz cartoons
- Cozy Heart Penguin, a Care Bears cousin
- The Crow is a comic about a superhero associated with a crow
- The crows in Dumbo
- Daffy Duck, a duck in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons
- Darkwing Duck, of the Disney television cartoon of the same name
- Diablo, Maleficent's raven, in Disney's animated version of Sleeping Beauty
- The last of the Dodos in Looney Tunes
- Dodo from Animal Crackers
- Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Huey, Dewey and Louie in the Walt Disney cartoons
- Ludwig Von Drake, and Scrooge McDuck
in the Walt Disney cartoons
- Duckman, a duck in the cartoon of the same name
- Flit, a hummingbird in Disney's animated version of Pocahontas
- Friend Owl, in Disney's Bambi
- Frobisher (aka Avan Tarklu), an alien shapeshifter from the Dr. Who comic strip
- Foghorn Leghorn, a rooster in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons
- Gogo Dodo in Tiny Toon Adventures
- The Goodfeathers (pigeons) in Animaniacs
- Graculus in Noggin the Nog
- The Great Bird Conspiracy in Kevin and Kell
- H. Ross Parrot on Sesame Street
- Giant hawks flown by the Glider Elves in Elfquest comics
- Henery Hawk, a chickenhawk in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons
- Howard the Duck in the comic book of the same name
- Howland Owl, and Sarcophagus MacAbre, a vulture in Walt Kelly's Pogo
- Iago, a parrot in Disney's animated version of Aladdin
- Jose Carioca, a parrot in various Walt Disney cartoons
- Jose, Michael, Pierre, and
Fritz, parrots in Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
- Kehaar the seagull in Watership Down
- Kotreeka birds in Gene Catlow
- Matthew, Dream's raven in the DC Comics Sandman series
- Opus, a penguin in Berkeley Breathed's Bloom County
- Owls in Futurama, considered vermin in the 31st Century
- Owl in Disney's animated versions of the Winnie the Pooh stories
- Panchito, a rooster in The Three Caballeros
- Pen2, a penguin from Neon Genesis Evangelion
- The penguin waiters in Mary Poppins
- Penguins in Avatar: The Last Airbender of Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Pigeon, the eponymous avian and central stooge in Sidewards'
- Pingu, a penguin in the animated children's series of the same name (Swiss)
- Pino, the blue nephew of Big Bird, appears in Sesamstraat, the Dutch spin-off of Sesame Street
- Plucky Duck in Tiny Toon Adventures
- Pokey the Penguin, a penguin living in the Arctic Circle, in the webcomic of the same name
- Professor Yaffle, a Green Woodpecker in Bagpuss (UK)
- The purple falcon sidekick of Birdman
- Reptile Parrot of Avatar: The Last Airbender
- The Road Runner (a roadrunner) in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons
- Screaming Bird of Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Scuttle, a seagull in Disney's The Little Mermaid
- Sheldon, an unhatched chick egg, in Garfield and Friends
- Shoe, a grumpy, cigar-smoking newspaper publisher in his own comic strip
- Shirley McLoon in Tiny Toon Adventures
- Sonny (a cuckoo), a cartoon spokesbird for Cocoa Puffs cereal (USA)
- Thundra, a phoenix in Aladdin
- Toucan Sam, a toucan, the cartoon spokesbird for Froot Loops cereal (USA)
- Turtle Ducks of Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Tweety, a canary in the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons
- The Why Bird, in BBC educational programme Playdays
- Woodstock in the Charles Schultz's Peanuts comic strip
- Woody Woodpecker, a woodpecker in the Walter Lantz cartoons
- Yankee Doodle Pigeon in Hanna-Barbera's Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines
- Ying Ying, Hannibal Roy Bean's henchbird in Xiaolin Showdown
- Yoyo, an owl in The Books of Magic comic book by Neil Gaiman and others
- Zazu, a hornbill in The Lion King
| BIRDS IN VIDEO GAMES
- The Chozo in the Metroid series
- Beat the Bird in Mega Man
- Chill Penguin and Storm Eagle in Mega Man X
- Overdrive Ostrich in Mega Man X2
- Pentarou in Parodius series, Yume Penguin Monogatari, Antarctic Adventure
- King Dedede, Coo, Pitch, and Dyna Blade (Kirby) from the Kirby series
- General Tsao, Captain LeFwee, Clockwerk, and Arpeggio in the Sly Cooper trilogy
- Maurie, Cass, Lenny, in Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
- Stew, Chick, Penta, Farmer, Evil Twins, from Crash Bandicoot series
- Indian Peafowl from Zoo Tycoon 2
- Secretary Bird from Zoo Tycoon 2: African Adventure
- Albatoss in the Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic and Super Mario Bros. 2
- Raphael Raven in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Bumpty in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Cyber Peacock and Storm Owl
in Mega Man X4
- Falco Lombardi in the Star Fox series
- Sgt. James Byrd in the Spyro the Dragon series, beginning with Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon
- Helmaroc King and Kargorocs in the The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- Chocobo in the Final Fantasy series
- Kaepora Gaebora in the The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Kazooie, the sidekick in the Banjo-Kazooie series
- Celeste, in Animal Crossing: Wild World, the sister of Blathers
- The Babylon Rogues of Sonic Riders
- Tiki the Kiwi from New Zealand Story
| BIRDS IN COMMERCE
- Granny Goose
- Toucan Sam, a toucan, the cartoon spokesbird for Froot Loops cereal (USA)
- Floyd D. Duck Bubble Yum
- Sonny the Cuckoo Bird 'Coco Puff
[Legends, Mythology, Religion] [Television]
] [Music ] [
[Animation, Comics, Puppetry, Theme Parks] [Video Games
Dog Names |
Cat Names |
Horse Names |
Bird Names |
Rodent Names |
Reptile Names |
Guinea Pig Names |
Lambs Names |
Hedgehog Names |
Sugar Gliders Names |
Names | Fish Names |
Pig Names | Other Pet Names |
Back to the
NAMES MASTER LIST