EMERGENCY HOUSEHOLD MEDICATIONS
The following is a list of common household human medications that can be used on pets.
These medications should ONLY be used when you can't reach your veterinarian immediately.
Your vet may recommend an over-the-counter drug like diphenhydramine (Benadryl). The typical dose is one to three milligrams for every pound of pet, but you should ask your vet for precise dosages.
|PRODUCT ||COMMON USAGE ||CANINE DOSAGE |
|Buffered Aspirin||Pain relief, anti-inflammatory||5 mg per/lb every 12 hrs|
|Vitamin B||Used as an appetite stimulant||1/2 to 2 ml subcutaneously, every 24 hrs|
|Benadryl||Treats allergies, itching, insect stings, bites||1/2 mg per/lb every 8 hrs, maximum 2 mg per/lb|
|Dramamine||Reduces motion sickness||Up to 50 mg every 8 hrs|
|Hydrogen Peroxide 3%||Used to induce vomiting after accidental ingestion of poison||10 ml by mouth every 15 min|
|Epinephrine 1:1000||Used to treat reactions to medications, insect stings, bites||1/10 to 1/2 ml intramuscular or subcutaneously|
|Pepto Bismol||For diarrhoea, vomiting and anti-gas||1 tsp per 5 lbs every 6 hrs|
|Di Gel Liquid||Antacid and anti-gas||Up to 4
tablespoon every 8 hrs|
|Mineral Oil||Eliminates constipation||Up to 4
|Kaopectate||Relieves diarrhoea||1 ml per/lb every 2 hrs|
|Tylenol||Pain relief||Not recommended|
WARNING! Those of you who
use Kaopectate to control diarrhoea,
especially in cats, need to be aware of the recent formula change. Due to
concerns regarding lead levels in the old formulation the manufacturer of
Kaopectate have changed the active ingredient to bismuth subsalicylate.
Salicylates (e.g. aspirin, pepto bismol and now kaopectate) should only be
administered to cats under veterinary supervision. Some dogs are also sensitive
SWEETENER XYLITOL CAN BE TOXIC TO DOGS
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals' Animal Poison Control Center is warning veterinarians, their staff, and pet owners that the xylitol – a sweetener found in some sugar-free chewing gums, candies, and other products can cause serious – possibly life-threatening problems for dogs.
Dogs ingesting large amounts of products sweetened with xylitol may have a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting depression, loss of coordination, and seizures, according to Dr. Eric K. Dunayer, a consulting veterinarian in clinical toxicology for the poison control center. The center is most concerned about products in which xylitol is the primary ingredient.
"These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product," Dr. Dunayer said in a statement. "Therefore, it is important that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately."
Some data suggest a link between xylitol ingestion and liver failure in dogs, he said, though those data are insufficient to draw firm conclusions.
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.
For Diet & Nutrition Links,
For Alternative Health, CLICK
out our CANINE FIRST AID page!