||Reasons to avoid
|Can cause difficulty breathing; fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart; or pancreatitis.
||Can contain onion
powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.)
Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large
|Bones from fish,
poultry, or other meat sources
obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.
|Can splinter and tear a dog’s internal organs.
(from coffee, coffee grounds, tea, or tea bags)
|Stimulates the central nervous and cardiac systems, and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations, and even death within hours.
high in protein and fats.
coffee, tea, & other caffeine
theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect
the heart and nervous systems. Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. The darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is. But any chocolate, in large enough amounts, can kill a dog. An ounce of chocolate can poison a 30-pound dog, and many dogs will happily consume more than this. The symptoms may not show up for several hours
with death following within twenty-four hours.
||Can cause pancreatitis, gas and
diarrhoea. A small amount of non-fat, plain yoghurt is usually safe.
|Raw egg whites contain a protein called avidin, which can deplete your dog of biotin, one of the B vitamins. Biotin is essential to your dog’s growth and coat health. The lack of it can cause hair loss, weakness, growth retardation, or skeleton deformity.
||Too much fat or fried foods can cause pancreatitis.
|Fruit pips, seeds
||Apple seeds, cherry pits, and peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, peaches, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous.
|Grains should not be given in large amounts or make up a large part of a dog’s diet, but rice is generally safe in small amounts.
||Can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill him. If the dog doesn't eat enough at one time to be fatal, he can be severely damaged by eating just a few grapes or raisins regularly.
|Ham & bacon
||Contain too much fat and too much salt, and can cause pancreatitis. Also, large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may drink too much water and develop a life-threatening condition called bloat. This is where the stomach fills up with gas and within several hours may twist, causing death.
causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature,
seizures, and death.
supplements containing iron
||Can damage the
lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other
organs including the liver and kidneys.
|Raw liver or too much cooked liver (three servings a week) can lead to vitamin A toxicity. This can
affect muscles and cause deformed bones, excessive bone growth on the elbows and spine, weight loss, and anorexia.
unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous
systems and muscle. Can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. These symptoms are usually temporary.
||Can depress the
nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.
|Milk & other
||Some adult dogs
and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase,
which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhoea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.
or spoiled food, garbage
multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhoea and can also
affect other organs.
toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause
shock, and result in death. Wild mushrooms can cause abdominal pain, drooling, liver damage, kidney damage, vomiting,
diarrhoea, convulsions, coma, or death.
||Can cause tremors, seizures and death.
& garlic (raw, cooked, or powder)
sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells
and cause anaemia.
Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than
(made from the 1980s to today)
|Contain zinc, which can cause kidney failure and damage to red blood cells. A dog that consumes even one penny can become quite sick, or even die, if the penny is not removed.
||Seeds can cause
intestinal obstruction and enteritis.
|Pits from peaches
obstruction of the digestive tract.
& tomato leaves; potato & tomato stems
which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.
This is more of a problem in livestock. Potato peels and green potatoes are dangerous.
||Contain an enzyme
called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin
(a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat
problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.
||Can result in a thiamine
(a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite,
seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish
is fed regularly.
||If eaten in large
quantities it may lead to electrolyte
imbalances and kidney problems. Large breeds of dogs that eat salty food may then drink too much water and develop bloat, which is fatal unless emergency treatment is given very quickly.
trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign
||Can lead to obesity,
dental problems, and possibly diabetes
|Table scraps (in
||Table scraps are
not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10%
of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not
nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can
result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.
||Can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. (All parts of the plant except the tomato itself are also poisonous to humans.)
|| Walnuts are poisonous to dogs.
||Diet products containing the sweetener Xylitol can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. Unless treatment is given quickly, the dog could die.
||Can expand and
produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible
rupture of the stomach or intestines.